Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

8 Weeks

Napping during his lunch feeding.
Yesterday Keller was 8 weeks old! As I held him I prayed over him from the top of his head to the tips of his toes. I praised God for how far he has come and how much he has grown over the past 8 weeks.

8 weeks ago Keller was the one who struggled. Skyler was a fighter from conception so he was equipped for the battle of those first moments of life. Kell had enjoyed a cushy existence in the womb and struggled with being forced out so early. His skin was so tender and translucent. He had terrible bruises and sores from the tape that held the sensors that monitored him. I first bonded with my tough little Skyler. It was hard for me to see Keller's thin skin hurting, I would actually physically hurt when I looked at my sweet little boy. Little by little Kell's skin healed and before I knew it we were having our first cuddle session of Kangaroo Care. That was one of the best moments of my life; I don't think I have ever wanted to hold a baby more!

Now today I sit on our little bench in Kell's room with Asher cuddled up next to me. We just spent that last ten minutes marveling over what a big boy Keller now is. Asher delights in his every movement, giggling and adding his own commentary to Keller's thoughts. These moments bring a joy to my heart that cannot be described. Two of my precious boys...ahhh.

Keller is on day three of an isolette temperature of 28.0. We're getting closer to being ready for a crib!!! For now his high flow cannula (remember this is not a vent, he's breathing on his own with just some support of extra oxygen and pressure to help fill his lungs) is at 4.0 and 24% oxygen. He had his last dose of his diuretic and it seems to have done its job by looking at his hands as well as his oxygen levels. His eyes are still immature but are at the proper growth stage. If all goes well his next appointment in two weeks will show that his eyes are matured and we don't have to worry about his eye development.

Here's Keller's spring door sign. I think this will be the last one I will make for his NICU door. Fingers crossed that he won't need a summer one!


I added his middle name to this one since I was told his other sign didn't say boy. Clearly they don't know me....if Keller was a girl her sign would clearly say girl with lots of pink & glitter!

Thank you for praying for all of my sweet boys!

Lots of Love,
Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment