Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Kangaroo Care

Update from Shelly...



Keller's Feet

Skyler's foot



On Monday morning when I arrived in the NICU Glenda had a surprise for me. Keller had gotten a little crafty and made his hand & footprints. Skyler had already done his foot prints the day after he was born (Also done with Glenda. How fabulous is she!?!) so we were just missing Kell's. Our whole family is completely in love with them. We keep them in little ziplocks so the big boys can hold and look at them, too.


Keller's Hands


Yesterday was a very special day, I got to hold one of my babies for the first time!! Keller was being a wild man, trying to turn his head (not a good idea with a vent tube in), face planting into his bed, and flailing his arms and legs around. I was giving Keller some "comfort" to try to keep him from doing any more tricks when Glenda (Keller's nurse today. She's actually been with one of the boys since they arrived almost three weeks ago! Wow time flies!!) walked in with a grin and asked me if I was ready to do Kangaroo Care. I of course said, "Yes!" but in my quiet NICU voice. (No loud noises are aloud in here.) While Glenda and Tony (yesterday's respitory therapist) prepped Keller I quick called Karen (Micah's mom who happens to work about 5 minutes from here) to come and capture the moment.
Oh joy! I felt like I was given a valium once my little guy was on my chest. I felt so relaxed and couldn't stop myself from smiling. Keller loved cuddling with me which was a huge blessing. Not all babies respond well to Kangaroo Care, but Kell stayed with me for an hour and twenty five minutes just calm as can be. I have to say it was the best hour and twenty five minutes I've had in a really long time. I feel so grateful for our quality time today and look forward to the day when Sky and I can have some time, too.







Skyler's report:
Skyler has had a hard time with his urine output. He went for about 9 hrs yesterday without peeing....not good. The Dr. decided it was time for a catheter, he was all prepped and ready to go when Skyler peed. (As I was typing this he started going potty again! Praises!!!) Once again saving himself from the catheter just in the nick of time. They just aren't sure why Sky is having such little urine output. Dr. Lawson is conferring with a urologist from Children's and they decided to put baking soda in his feeds times a day to help with his acid balance. They are also going to change the human milk fortifier that is added to his feedings to a potassium free version. He'll get all the extra calories he was getting before only without any extra potassium since he has such a high level of potassium already. Over all, he's been really restful which is just what he needs. They are going to wean him off the extra amount of ativan that they gave him Tuesday and work on getting him off of it all together. Fingers crossed!! 




Lots of Love,
Shelly

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever seen look so beautiful and serene. What a blessing it was to see - I am so thankful that I could be there. The boys are so precious and you are an angel. Love you - k

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts. I tear up every time I watch one of the videos! I can't wait to see you guys and to meet your handsome little men! Love you guys and we are still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear (and see!) you were able to snuggle with Keller! I hope your special time with Skyler is coming soon!

    ReplyDelete