Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Roller Coaster are NOT my thing

Update from Shelly...

I've never liked roller coasters or any sort of carnival ride. I don't like the extreme highs where you know at any moment your stomach is going to be in your throat. I can't even scream on the way down like a normal person, I just make this sad (ok a little funny) noise that is the equivalent to a large man screaming like a little girl...both equally embarrassing. Here we are on the NICU rollercoaster, riding away with no carnie in sight to let us off this wild ride.

We started off the day climbing up the track, both the boys managed to be stable all night and were actually having a good morning. Micah and I were elated. Ahhh...it's going to be a good day. Hey maybe we will get cell service and if I really want to dream big....the power back on! So Micah didn't really care for the later, his inner cowboy was out and the sick man was actually enjoying the outage. He loved getting the generator all hooked up and the fun that came with roughing it. I DID NOT. I was starting to get angry about A. having to get Micah up a couple of times a night to start the generator so I could pump and then B. having to start up the BBQ so I could boil water to clean all the pump parts afterwards. I usually take these outages in stride knowing that it's part of living where we live but it was just another dip in this not so fun ride that I didn't want to be on. God could see that I was starting to crack so He sent a little message to our good friends the Spears. Mitch and Autumn had arranged for us to stay at the Fairmont in Seattle for the night. They along with our other good friends the Hawkins were staying there and would be willing to watch the boys while we visited the twins. Gray, Ash, and I all jumped at the chance to get out and stay at a hotel but I could see Micah was torn. I think knowing that I was on the brink of my own state of emergency made him leave his saddle behind and head west to the big city.

As Micah and I were walking hand-in-hand down University to Starbucks, we were both giddy having just left two happy boys at the hotel pool with our fabulous friends. It was a gorgeous day in Seattle and had we not been fueling up with caffeine to head into the NICU it would have been a really fun mini date.
As we walked into Skyler and Keller's room, Keller's nurse immediately left to get the neonatologist so he could update us...never a good sign...down we go. Stomachs firmly lodged in our throats we braced ourselves to see how low this dip was going to go....

Literally, seconds after talking to us on the phone this afternoon Sky's nurse did a feed suck (not quite a medical term but after each feeding they suction our the boys tummies to measure how much is being digested) and discovered blood in his tummy. Stomach bleeding is not considered normal so they quickly did a white blood cell & platelet count as well as an x-ray all of which came back with good results. This has been puzzling to the team and they are working hard to try to figure out why he's bleeding. They have decided to give him some antibiotics to see if it helps. The doctors do not like giving babies antibiotics because they want babies to use their own immunities and they don't want any bacteria or infections to come back stronger but at this point giving antibiotics is the best option. Back at the bottom of the ride listening to how sick our little boy is.
Sky


We did get a little high with Keller who not only had a good night but kept going through out the day. He is awaiting the blood for his transfusion which should be arriving any minute. He's going to be temporarily fasting during his transfusion but they are expecting for him to get right back on to his feeds with no problem. Kell loves his food and has been doing really great with all of this feedings. We are so blessed that he is doing well right now.


Keller

Keller's bum!
Keller


So as we continue on our ride as terrified as I am, I know that God has his hand on all of us and will guide us through. Thanks to everyone that is praying for our sweet boys here in the NICU and the ones at home with us.

Lots of Love,
Shelly

2 comments:

  1. You can add my prayers to your list. I will be praying for those little boys and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly thank you so much for the updates. I wish we could be there with you guys to help you through! We love you guys!! Please let us know if there is anything we can be doing for you..... besides praying of course!!

    ReplyDelete