Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Happy 29 Weeks

Update from Shelly...

Happy 29 weeks Skyler & Keller! I'm so thrilled that we are inching our way to the thirties! Praise God everyone had an uneventful/ good night! I feel so blessed and grateful for another day with my boys. Skyler is off the dopamine he was on for his kidneys. He has "good urine output" and they had dropped the dopamine dose down so low that they didn't really think it was doing anything anyways. I haven't gotten to look at him yet. His nurse is not very mom friendly (actually both the nurses aren't and unfortunately they were here yesterday, too) and prefers that I stay on my little bench and not speak. It makes it hard for me because my boys love my comfort holds and our little chats. You can see it in their numbers and the other nurses and respiratory therapists have commented on how well they do with me. I try to keep in mind that everyone has their own way of doing things and hand it off to God but sometimes it gets under my skin...especially when it comes to Keller. 

He's feeling much better today and is a little wiggle worm. He loves to be talked to and touched. I've been watching his numbers all morning and it's like he's calling out to me. During his "cares" (diaper change, blood gases taken, etc) the respiratory therapist told me that his eyes were open so I went over and talked to him. Kell got excited to hear my voice and gripped my finger. Once Doug was out the room, the nurse told me that I needed to put the blanket back over the isolette and let him rest for the day. Bummer! But I'm glad I got to sneak in a little time. Maybe when Doug comes back I can sneak in a little more. I don't want to rock the boat with the nurses. They are caring for my precious babies after all, but it's really hard to watch from the bench. It makes me really appreciate the other nurses (especially Glenda who goes above and beyond) who make me feel apart of the process instead of a spectator. But today is a good day and I'll do my best to be the best silent bench sitter that I can be. I'm sending out lots of love energy to the boys and I hope they are able to soak it up.

Lots of Love,
Shelly 

2 comments:

  1. Shelly, I'm glad your babies are doing well today, but it is hard for me, as a RN to hear how the nurses aren't "mommy friendly", you're your babies biggest advocate a role they should gladly let you have and help you with. I will be praying for the continued healing of the babies and for more "mommy friendly nurses"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart and prayers are with your babies and your family.

    (BTW, in case you were wondering, I am Mike Schaal's SIL, a co-worker of your husband's?)

    I will continue to keep those boys in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete