Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Taking turns

I have to say that my little boys are gifted in the area of taking turns. They are never both in crisis, just one at a time. Today is Sky's turn while yesterday was Keller's day.

I'll start with Keller, who praise God, is having a better day today. Friday morning at 9am Kell's dream of being off the vent came true. He was put back on to the CPAP machine & was a very happy camper. He was doing a fabulous job on the CPAP & I was able to hold him for two hours. The CPAP offers less support than the vent so it's much more work to breathe but for about 24 hrs Kell was breathing like a champ. Unfortunately, he began getting tired and kept forgetting to breathe causing big dips in his heart rate and oxygen in-take. It was so heartbreaking watching my little guy struggle to breathe knowing how much he would hate being put back on the vent. My mom and I spent the day in the NICU watching his monitors display his roller coaster ride. Thankfully, in the early evening he began to recover and has been able to stay on the CPAP. Today he's doing much better and I pray that he continues to heal.

On Friday night, Skyler managed to get his vent tube out giving the night nurses a run for their money. Thankfully, they were easily able to get his tube back into place quickly and easily and Sky handled it really well. Saturday he had a good day. We came into the NICU as a family today greeted by Dr. Beckstrom, both of the nurses, the respiratory therapist, the charge nurse, and someone else that I'm not actually sure what she does. My heart immediately sunk knowing that they all weren't there to welcome us. Sky is now up on the highest vent setting and the Dr informed us that it's coming to a point where there isn't really much more support that they can offer him. There is a procedure that needs to be done to close up his PDA but he isn't sure that it can be done now due to Sky's poor condition. I washed up & did comfort hold while giant silent tears dropped on top of his isolette. Both the big boys asked me why I was crying and I explained that Sky was not feeling good today and it makes Mommy sad for him. I can only imagine what is going through their minds right now.

Please pray for all of us because this well, frankly really sucks and is hard. Pray for healing for Sky and Kell. Pray that God scoops up Asher & Gray extra tight and gives their little hearts comfort and peace. Pray that Micah and I continue to lean into God and allow Him to carry us through this. 

Lots of Love,
Shelly

3 comments:

  1. Oh Shelly, I wish there was more that I could do but the prayers continue to be said and Sky is getting some extra prayers from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, thanks for your continued support! All your comments and posts do help remind us how much Micah and Shelly's friends mean and how supportive they all are! - Kylah

      Delete
  2. Still praying for those two! We know they are fighters and that God has a purpose for their little lives. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete